Dietetic Internship Program
James J. Peters Bronx VA Medical Center
The JJPVAMC Dietetic Internship Program Combined with Master’s Degree in Clinical Nutrition New York University is a 12-month dietetic internship program which includes rotations in clinical dietetics, food service systems, clinical management, community nutrition, and culinary nutrition. Interns complete approximately 1500 hours of supervised practice experiences and 15 graduate credits over 12 months. Upon successful completion of the 12 month dietetic internship interns receive their ACEND Verification Statement. Graduates then have the opportunity to complete the remaining graduate credits for an MS in Clinical Nutrition at NYU in as little as an additional semester - our fast-track program makes it possible to complete the MS, RD/RDN in as little as 16 months! The academic component includes required and elective courses combined to provide opportunities for interns to work toward an advanced degree concurrently with practical applications in the clinical setting.
The mission of the James J. Peters VA Medical Center Dietetic Internship Combined with a Master of Science Degree in Clinical Nutrition at New York University is to prepare competent entry-level registered dietitian/nutritionists to meet the needs of America's Veterans as well as the general population. Graduates of the program will be committed to evidenced-based practice, providing high quality nutritional care to their patients and/or clients.
The program is designed to produce a competent graduate with a well-integrated practical and theoretical education to meet the expanding role of today's dietetic practitioner.
The Medical Center, its affiliates and the university are now and have always been committed to the education and training of professionals in dietetics and allied health fields. The dietetic internship was reestablished in 1982 with a prior 29-year history as an internship. NYU has offered a Master’s Degree in nutrition since 1945.
This program provides a pool of qualified, entry-level practitioners to the metropolitan New York area and the VA system. Graduates are well prepared to meet the expanding role of the dietitian in clinical, management and community nutrition. The program provides career placement assistance for all graduates.
Program Goals and Measurable Outcomes*
Dietetic Internship Program Goals
1. The program will prepare graduates to be professional, competent entry level registered dietitian nutritionists.
2. The program will provide a pool of qualified dietitians to the VA system.
1. 90% of the students who enter the internship will complete it within 77 weeks (150% of the 51 week program)
2. 80% of graduates will pass the Registration Examination for Dietitians the first time
3. 75% of graduates will have obtained employment related to the field of dietetics within 6 months of graduating
4. 85% of program graduates will respond that the internship adequately prepared them for professional practice
5. The mean rating for competence skill that the graduate demonstrated upon initial hire will be a (2) or Entry Level or higher on the Graduate Employer Survey
6. 75% of program graduates will be members of nutrition related or other professional associations at the time they complete the Graduate Survey
7. 50% of graduates will accept a position at JJPVA or in another VA facility
8. 90% of program graduates would consider federal employment in the future
*Outcome measures are available upon request from Jean Curran-Leitch, MS, RD at firstname.lastname@example.org