VA Nutrition and Food Services
We are always looking for qualified and motivated applicants to join our Nutrition and Food Service Team.
Dietetics is the science and art of applying the principles of food and nutrition to health.
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
Welcome to the VA Dietetic Internship Training homepage. This site provides information to assist you in understanding our programs as you seek the best match for your training experience. All of the VA dietetics training programs are fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). We are a part of the VA Nutrition and Food Service Program.
Please direct any questions or concerns to Dietetic Internship Directors - VA
Why Train at the VA?
As you explore the programs we offer, you will discover that each individual program offers unique learning experiences with highly qualified registered dietitians as well as other health care professionals. While each program is unique, there are a few things that we all have in common:
- Our programs provide top-notch educational experiences in reputable teaching hospitals to prepare entry level dietitians to take on a variety of positions in dietetics. The VA Healthcare system has been recognized for providing high quality healthcare as well as having the most advanced computerized medical chart system in the United States.
- Only U.S. Citizens are eligible to apply for VA Dietetic Internship Programs
- Our patient population is veterans. The veteran population is approximately 91% male and 9% female. Each internship site also provides opportunities to work with non-veteran men, women and children through affiliate rotation sites in their respective communities.
- There is NO APPLICATION FEE for any of the VA dietetic internship programs.
- All VA dietetic internship programs pay a "no strings attached" stipend throughout the course of the internship. Stipend rates vary by geographical location.
- While employment for the VA is NOT mandatory upon graduation, many interns discover that they would love the opportunity to work for the highly regarded VA healthcare system upon graduation. With 153 medical centers across the country, ample employment opportunities exist.
- The first time pass rate for all VA dietetic internship programs ranges from 97-100%.
- All the VA dietetic internships are participating in DICAS. Programs differ in length and some provide a master's degree. Please apply directly to the program site you are interested in.
To find more information about the dietetic internship training programs at our facilities, please use the list below.