Dietetic Internship Program
James J. Peters Bronx VA Medical Center
JJPVA Application Information
A maximum of seven interns are appointed annually. Appointment notifications are made in April for the following August according to the procedures established by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). The program director will review your application and score it according to established selection criteria prior to the interview and ranking by a selection committee.
- Grade Point Average: Minimum GPA 3.0; most applicants matching with our Program have a 3.2 GPA. Applicants are ranked not on GPA alone but on all elements of the application packet as well as the interview score
- Work and volunteer experience (excluding practicum experience) which indicate exposure and commitment to the field.
- Extracurricular activities related to dietetics. These may include volunteer experiences, food drives, student nutrition/dietetic club membership, nutrition education materials and/or classes/programs you have developed.
- Letters of recommendation. Please give careful thought to who you choose to write your recommendation letters. We are interested in how your college professors/instructors and work supervisors evaluate you and your work.Please choose those who can adequately assess your abilities to perform as a dietetic intern and then as a registered dietitian.
- Personal letter of application
- All applications are reviewed by the Dietetic Internship Director and scored based on strength of application.
- Interview: interviews are conducted for highest scoring applications. Interviews are conducted in-person or by phone and are conducted by two members of the selection committee. A writing sample is conducted during the interview. Applicants who cannot come to JJPVA for an in-person interview are not penalized, however all applicants interested in our program are encouraged to visit the facility and meet with the Director before applying to the internship.
Internship Admission Requirements
- Completion of the minimum academic requirements set forth by Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Applicants matched to our program must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and must have completed the requirements of an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD). Official transcripts indicating the confirmation of your degree plus a DPD Verification Statement are required prior to the start of the internship.
- U.S. Citizenship at time of application.
- Proof of immunization and verification of good health. Interns must also pass a background check (paid for by the VA). Drug screening is not required by the VA for admission to the internship, nor has it been required by an outside affiliate. If that changes and an outside affiliate begins to require drug testing, it will be at the interns' expense. Because it is not required at this time, no esimated costs are available.
Applicants to this program must apply to:
JJPVA Dietetic Internship
NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development
D&D Digital Systems
JJPVA Dietetic Internship Application
Our program uses the on-line centralized internship application DICAS. The on-line application must be completed for our program by the February deadline set by ACEND (usually February 15th)
Application will include completion of a personal statement. Please note that JJPVA requires a personal statement specific to our program. Personal statement should address the following:
- Reason you have chosen to pursue a career as a Registered Dietitian
- Experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career
- Current short and long-term career goals
- Why you feel the JJPVA/NYU coordinated program will meet your specific goals
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
- DICAS Transcript Department PO Box 9118 Watertown, MA 02472 https://www.portal.dicas.org
Applicants will be required to include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each required reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individual as reference for each application.
Special Instructions for this Internship
Supplemental information is required when applying to the JJPVA internship. This information must be submitted via the DICAS system and includes:
- Proof of US Citizenship (valid passport or birth certificate)
New York University Application Procedures
Students applying to JJPVA Dietetic Internship are required to submit a separate set of application materials to New York University (NYU). To obtain information about NYU Steinhardt School of Education graduate admissions programs and application materials for admission to the master's program in Nutrition and Dietetics Clinical Nutrition (HOND-CNU) visit the website at:
The application to NYU is due by February 1. Please check off that you are applying to the JJPVA Dietetic Internship and the NYU application fee will be waived.
GRE's are not required for the NYU or JJPVA application.
For information about the M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics: Clinical Nutrition (HOND-CNU), contact the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at:
The Steinhardt School of Education
411 Lafayette St,
New York, NY 10003
Telephone: (212) 998-5580 Fax (212) 995-4194
D&D Digital Systems Application Procedures
Applicants must also register for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 pm Eastern Time by the mid-February deadline set by ACEND. The JJPVA Dietetic Internship Program uses Code Number 358 on the prioritized list of dietetic internship programs that you will submit to D&D Digital Systems. There is a $50.00 computer matching fee required and made payable to D&D Digital Systems. http://www.dnddigital.com
- The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application
- NYU admission fee is waived if applying to JJPVA Dietetic Internship; please check off that you are applying to JJPVA on the NYU admissions application
- There is a $50 computer matching fee
- There is NO ADDITIONAL FEE for our program.
D & D Digital Systems will provide all applicants their personal matching results via posting on the D & D Digital Systems web site on notification day. Matched applicants to the James J. Peters VA Medical Center Dietetic Internship Coordinated with Masters Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics: Clinical Nutrition (HOND-CNU) New York University must contact the Dietetic Internship Director, Jean Curran-Leitch, by telephone at 718-584-9000 ext. 6845 to confirm acceptance of the match. Appointees must also respond in writing within 48 hours of the telephone communication of their acceptance or rejection of the appointment. A letter will be sent to appointees confirming the dietetic internship appointment. Appointees will be given a physical examination at a Department of Veterans Affairs facility prior to reporting for duty in August. The physical examination must be satisfactory in order to be accepted into the Dietetic Internship Program. Should the physical examination be unsatisfactory, no part of the expenses involved in reporting or returning home can be borne by the Federal Government.