Dietetic Internship Program
Memphis VA Medical Center
Program Mission & Goals
VAMC Memphis Mission Statement:
To honor and serve America's Veterans by providing timely access to quality, patient-centered care; enhancing the patient experience; conducting research; and educating employees, Veterans, and future healthcare professionals.
VAMC Memphis Vision Statement:
The Choice of America's heroes.
VAMC Memphis Catherine Austin Dietetic Internship Mission and Program Goals:
The mission of the Catherine Austin Dietetic Internship program at the Memphis VAMC is to educate tomorrow's dietetics professionals who will serve as leaders for the profession of dietetics and are committed to evidence based practice and the nutrition care process in the care of veterans and the public. The Program goals include:
- The VAMC Memphis Dietetic Internship Program will prepare interns with the skills, knowledge, abilities, and experience needed to obtain professional credentials and enter dietetic practice.
- 80% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program's one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of the first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- At least 80% of program interns complete program requirements within 15 months (150% of the program length).
- Over a 5 year period, 90% of employer surveys will rate graduates as meeting or exceeding entry level performance.
- The program will benefit the VA, other healthcare systems, and the public by producing multi-skilled, competent dietetics professionals to meet the demands of both traditional and nontraditional roles including those due to new and emerging practice areas.
- Of graduates who seek employment, 80% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- 25% of program graduates will be employed in VA dietitian positions within 3 years of completing the program.
- 75% of graduates will be active in their local or state affiliate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or other professional organization one year after graduation.
- The Catherine Austin Dietetic Internship at the Memphis VAMC strives to provide a positive learning environment that leads to satisfaction with the program.
- Regarding overall satisfaction with this VA internship, the mean score on 100% of completed graduate surveys is at least a 3 on a scale of 0-5 (poor - excellent).
- When surveyed, 85% of students would choose this VA internship again if given a choice.
- Regarding overall mentoring experience with this VA internship, the mean rating of 100% of completed surveys is at least a 3 on a scale of 0-5 (poor-excellent).
The Catherine Austin Dietetic Internship Program at the Memphis VAMC has been granted full accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago IL 60606-6995, USA, (312) 8990-0040 ext. 5400. http://www.eatright.org/ACEND.
*Our program outcome data is available upon request from the internship director. We are currently exceeding all program goals listed above.
Address questions to:
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606-6995 www.eatright.org/ACEND 1-800/877-1600 ext.5400
Fax: (312) 899-4817
Jacqueline Roos MS, RD, CDE, LDN
Dietetic Internship Director/Clinical Dietitian
Nutrition and Food Service/120
(901)523-8990 ext 5683
Fax: (901) 577-7413