Dietetic Internship Program
Minneapolis VA Healthcare System
VisionNutrition and Food Service employees at MVAHCS are dedicated to the growth and development of future registered dietitians. It is through a thorough applicant screening process that interns are selected.
Our selection panel is looking for interns who:
- have an eagerness to learn
- exhibit commitment to their growth as dietetics professionals
- take initiative
- communicate regularly and respectfully
Program Goals and Measurable Outcomes
Goal #1: The program will prepare graduates to be competent entry-level dietitian nutritionists.
- At least 80% of program interns will complete program/degree requirements within 15 months (150% of program length)
- The program's one year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%
- 100% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion
- Of graduates who seek employment, 60% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation
- Of those who respond, 85% of employers will rate the graduate as 'entry level' or better in the knowledge required to perform as a competent entry-level Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
- Of those who respond, 75% of program graduates will be members of a nutrition related or other professional association at the time of the one year post graduate survey (currently 43%)
- Of those who respond, 80% of graduates will respond that the internship program adequately prepared them for entry level professional practice.
Goal #2: The program will provide a pool of qualified dietitian nutritionists to the VA system.
- Based on the past 3 year average, 20% of graduates will accept a position at a VA facility.
Annual program evaluations including outcome data are available upon request by contacting the internship director.