Dietetic Internship Program
Minneapolis VA Healthcare System
Apply via DICAS for the Spring Match. Our program requires no additional fees beyond what DICAS requires.
Who should apply?
Any dietetic student who meets the below requirements and is interested in a comprehensive supervised practice experience with dedicated and engaged preceptors and director who work with you one-on-one, strong clinical and specialized experience, assistance in finding employment, and an allocation, paid bi-weekly.
The MVAHCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selection of interns will be made without discrimination as to age, gender, race, color, religion, handicap, or national origin.
Click here for more on how to decide which track to apply for.
- US citizen
- Males must have registered for selective service or be exempt (will be required to provide verification of status through Selective Service Online Registration Search)
- up-to-date on vaccinations for health care workers (Recommended Vaccines for Healthcare Workers for CDC) and VA, including COVID vaccination and at least one booster
- 3.0 GPA
- Transcript which includes six or more recent credit hours from Advanced Level Nutrition or Medical Nutrition therapy classes, if DPD was obtained greater than 5 years ago
- DPD verification statement
- Personal statement: direct to our program specifically, explaining how you are a good fit for our team. Do not submit a generalized personal statement.
- Your acceptance letter to the MPS program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities if applying to the MPS/DI program option
- Include all extracurricular activities and any leadership opportunities in your work and volunteer history, even though you are also submitting a resume. Don't leave out any transferrable skills.
- 3 References: two professors (including the DPD director) and one work supervisor (you may use alternate references with approval from the MVAHCS DI Director. Please email with questions.)
- Interview (you will be contacted individually).
- No credit is given for assessment of prior learning.
Computer Matching Information:
Applicants to MVAHCS must participate in computer matching through D&D Digital Systems. There is a $55.00 charge for computer matching that is due with the applicant's registration.
MVAHCS DI (DI only) is program code no. 256
MPS/DI is program code no. 1056
Students will be able to access the D&D Digital Systems Web site on match day to review their personal matching results. Students receiving a match must accept/reject the match no later than 5:00pm on that Appointment day.
D&D Digital Systems, Inc. contact information:
D&D Digital Systems, Inc.
304 Main Street, Suite 301
Ames, IA 50010
The Minneapolis VA Health Care System Dietetic Internship accepts 8 interns each year. Upon appointment to the internship, interns must submit proof of health insurance, immunization records and provide documentation of an employment physical examination by their personal health care provider. Drug testing is not done at this time for dietetic interns; however, background checks and fingerprinting will be done prior to starting the internship and is paid for by the VA. Please feel free to email the Internship Director at with any questions about the program.
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites. The link will open in a new window.