Dietetic Internship Program
Minneapolis VA Healthcare System
Estimated Program Expenses
- Housing - $225-$750*
- Meals (hospital cafeteria) - $1-$4
- Resource materials and supplies - $100
- Professional membership in ADA - $50
- Health and car insurance - Varies
- Professional liability ins. - $35-$65
- Trans. and liability insurance - Varies
- Professional meetings - $65-150
- International Diabetes Center - $300
- Registration examination - $200
- AND pin (optional) - $30
*Apartment housing is available near the MVAHCS. Information can be obtained from the internship director. Dietetic interns are encouraged to bring a calculator and textbooks related to medical nutrition therapy, food and drug interactions and medical terminology. Major reports must be typed.
Interns must have a car and current auto insurance. Most affiliate locations are within 20 miles of the MVAHCS. Parking is free at the MVAHCS and at all affiliate sites. Interns may receive VA reimbursement for using public transportation.
Each intern receives a stipend of approximately $12,449 for the 42 week program. This is subject to change yearly and is paid bi-weekly. The amount you recieve as 'take home' pay will vary based on whether or not you choose to utilize the VA benifits offered to trainees as well as other deductions.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers a variety of scholarships to dietetic interns. Contact AND (800-877-1600, ext. 5400) or check their website https://www.eatright.org/ for further information.
Financial aid is not available; however student loans may be deferred in most cases.