Dietetic Internship Program
VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System
The mission of the VASNHCS Dietetic Internship is to prepare dietetic interns to become entry-level registered dietitians, who will serve as future leaders for the profession of dietetics, committed to using evidence-based practices for achieving excellence in healthcare provided to America's heroes and the public we serve.
Program Goals and Measurable Outcomes
Goal #1- Program graduates will be prepared to provide above entry level medical nutrition therapy in outpatient care.
- Program Completion: At least 80% of program interns will complete program requirements within 10.5 months (150% of program length)
- Exam Completion: At least 80% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- Exam Performance: The program's one year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
Goal #2 - To prepare graduates to use evidence-based practice, participate in, and contribute to integrated healthcare teams.
- Industry Employment: Of graduates who seek employment, at least 75% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation
- Employer Satisfaction: Of those who respond, at least 75% of employers were satisfied that program graduates were prepared for entry-level practice or better.
- Professional Practice: At least 80% of graduate survey respondents rated themselves as adequately prepared by internship for above entry-level practice in outpatient setting.
- Leadership Involvement: At least 50% of graduate survey respondents indicated participation in at least one professional nutrition related leadership activity, integrated healthcare team, or held a nutrition related office, within 12 months of program completion.
Annual program evaluations including outcome data are available upon request by contacting the internship director.