Dietetic Internship Program
VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System
As of February 11, 2022 the VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System has been granted candidacy accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) to open an ACEND accredited dietetic internship program to prepare Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in Fall 2022. This program began accepting applications for Fall 2022 and participates annually in the Spring matching cycle.
For more information about the ACEND accreditation standards click here.
This program will be using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org in early December for the Spring Match; e-mail DICASinfo@Dicas.org. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time by the mid-February deadline set by ACEND. The DICAS application portal will close on February 15, 2024. The computer matching fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application and an additional $25 per subsequent application.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a personal statement in 1,000 words or less.
Please address the following questions in your personal statement:
- Why are you specifically interested in the VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System Dietetic Internship Program? What makes you a 'fit' for our program? Be specific. Sell yourself. Please do not send us a generic personal statement.
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths? What areas do you feel you need to improve in?
Important application notes:
- Please note: The DPD verification statement remains a requirement for application.
- If you are a veteran, please notate this on your application under personal information
- When completing your work and volunteer history, please include everything even though you are also submitting a resume. This section of the application asks for more detail than your resume includes.
- References may be from two professors (including the DPD director) and one work supervisor; however you may use alternate references with approval from the VASNHCS DI Director. Please call with questions.
- The VA requires all VHA Health Care Personnel, which includes Dietetic Interns, be vaccinated for COVID-19. Otherwise interns may not be able to complete this program.
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Eligibility:
Please note starting with the Fall 2023 cohort of interns, a Master's degree will be required for admission to meet the change in standards to be eligible to sit for the RD exam.
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to DICAS Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown MA 02472.
When completing the DICAS application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line.
Special Instructions for this internship:
- Applicants MUST be a US citizen to apply for the VASNHCS Dietetic Internship
- Males MUST have registered for selective service or be exempt to be eligible to apply to this program. If matched to our program, males will be required to provide verification of their status through Selective Service Online Registration Search
- If your DPD requirements were completed greater than 5 years ago you must also provide a transcript which includes six or more recent credit hours from Advanced Level Nutrition or Medical Nutrition therapy classes to meet our programs Recency of Education requirements.
Computer Matching Information:
Applicants to Dietetic Internships (DI) must participate in computer matching through D&D Digital Systems. The deadline date for the Fall 2024 computer match is February 15, 2024. There is a $55.00 charge for computer matching that is due with the applicant's registration.
VASNHCS DI is program code NO. 86296251
Students will be able to access the D&D Digital Systems Web site on match day to review their personal matching results. Students receiving a match must accept/reject the match no later than 5:00pm on that appointment day.
D&D Digital Systems, Inc. contact information:
The VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System Dietetic Internship was recently granted ACEND candidacy and will be accepting applications for Fall 2022. The internship program will accept three interns Fall of 2024 and the maximum of four interns Fall of 2025. We do not charge an application fee or tuition. You must be a United States Citizen to apply for this internship. Upon appointment to the internship, interns must submit proof of health insurance, immunization records and provide documentation of an employment physical examination by their personal health care provider. Drug testing is not done at this time for dietetic interns; however background checks and fingerprinting will be done prior to starting the internship and is paid for by the VA. Please feel free to call the Internship Director at (775) 786-7200 ext. 4609 with any questions about the program.
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites. The link will open in a new window.