Dietetic Internship Program
VA Caribbean Healthcare System (San Juan)
- A maximum of eight interns are appointed annually
- Must be a graduate from an accredited college or university. Curriculum must be in accordance with current qualifying educational requirements established by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (DPD Academic requirements).
- Must have graduated with an overall GPA of 3.3 or above as well as in nutrition specialization courses
- Citizenship * Appointed under the authority of 38 U.S.C. 4114(a)(1)(A). Must be citizen of the USA.
- Must read, write and speak Spanish and English fluently. *Manual of Academic Affairs, M8, Part II, Chap. II
- Conduct an In-person interview with DIP Director, and Nutrition and Food Service Staff. Applicants will take a short exam with written and oral questions to evaluate candidate's academic knowledge, skills and fluency in English for candidates of the University of Puerto Rico and Spanish for University of the United States.
- There is no application fee for our program.
Open House: Due to COVID-19 pandemic, we will offer a virtual open house in January 29, 2021 at 9am EST. RSVP to: Roxana.email@example.com
Date: January 29, 2021 from 9:00am – 11:00 am.
Location: Online meeting link will be sent to those who RSVP
Application Process and Contact Person
All applicants must submit the following:
- Use Dietetic Internship Application Form. No DICAS participation
- Use Dietetic Internship Program Application
- Reasons why you selected this internship
- Area (s) of dietetics you are most interested at present and why
- Examples of your organizational skills, work ethic, interpersonal communication
- Skills with customers / patients, peers, supervisors and enthusiasm / dedication to the field of dietetics
- Future goals
- Only original transcripts accepted; or collect attended.
- Mailed directly from registrar's office OR sealed in envelope with registrar's signature across the flap.
- All fall semester or quarter grades must be included for application to be considered complete.
- Use Waiver and Recommendation form.
- Two references from professors in Food and Nutrition or related area.
- One reference from supervisor of a work experience.
- NOTE: Reference form must be sent in sealed envelopes with the signature of the reference person across the flap, or they can personally send the letter through email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit D&D Digital System using online process. Applicants must also register online for computer matching at D&D Digital at www.dnddigital.com* and select dietetic internship priority choices by the deadline posted by D&D.
- The deadline date for April 2021 computer match is February 15, 2021. There is a $55.00 computer matching fee.
- Submit complete application to the Dietetic Internship Director after January first and no later than January 15, 2021.
- All internship appointments are made during February and March following the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Veterans Affairs Standards.
- Recruitments and selection practices are non-discriminatory with respect to race, color, creed, sex, age, handicap and national origin.
Contact Dietetic Internship Director:
Ms. Roxana Torres-Cruz MHSN, RDN LND
Nutrition and Food Service (120)
VA Medical Center
10 Casia St.
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00921-3201
Tel:787-641-7582 ext.110333- 110321
An Additional Note:
“Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). In order to be approved for registration examination eligibility with a bachelor’s degree, an individual must meet all eligibility requirements and be submitted into CDR's Registration Eligibility Processing System (REPS) before 12:00 midnight Central Time, December 31, 2023.
For more information about this requirement visit CDR's website: https://www.cdrnet.org/graduatedegree. In addition, CDR requires that individual’s complete coursework and supervised practice in program(s) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
In most states, graduates also must obtain licensure or certification to practice. For more information about state licensure requirements click here.
For more information about educational pathways to become a RDN click here.”
*Links above will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.