Dietetic Internship Program
Michael E. DeBakey Houston VA Medical Center
The mission of the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center Dietetic Internship program is to prepare competent entry-level dietetics professionals to become Registered Dietitian Nutritionists who are committed to evidence-based practice in the care of Veterans and the public.
1. Graduates will acquire the skills, knowledge, and experiences needed to obtain professional credentials and enter dietetics practice. This is measured by:
- At least 80% of program graduates will take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program's one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- Graduates total scaled scores and sub-scores on the registration exam will exceed the national average.
2. Graduates will receive the education, mentorship, and support needed to successfully complete their dietetic internship program. This is measured by:
- At least 80% of interns complete program requirements within 18 months (150% of planned program length) for non-degree seeking interns and 24 months (150% of planned program length) for MS degree seeking interns.
- At least 80% of graduates who respond to the exit survey will rate the value of their internship training as "very good" or "excellent."
- At least 80% of graduates who respond to the exit survey will rate their perception of the adequacy of support from the program director as satisfied or very satisfied.
- At least 80% of the graduates who respond to the exit survey will rate their perception of the adequacy of support from preceptors as satisfied or very satisfied.
3. Graduates of the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center (MEDVAMC) program will benefit VA, other healthcare systems, and the public by becoming competent, multi-skilled, ethical, registered dietitian nutritionists who can meet the demands of both traditional and non-traditional roles. This is measured by:
- Of the graduates who seek employment, 80% are employed in nutrition and dietetics related fields within 12 months.
- At least 85% of employers who respond to the employer survey will rate MEDVAMC graduates as entry level or better when compared to other RDN's of similar experience.
Program outcomes are available upon request.