Dietetic Internship Program
Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
The availability and amount of a stipend varies on an annual basis. The stipend rate for post-baccalaureate interns (non-degree track) is approximately $10,000 pre-taxes ($6.93/hour) and for the MPH track is approximately $13,000 pre-taxes ($8.60/hour) paid over the supervised practice portion of the program.
- USF Tuition: $18,120.06 residents/36,841.14 non-residents. Not applicable for non-degree program track.
- Housing: Apartments in the Tampa Bay Area typically average from $600 - $1000 per month. Listings for the area may be found in the Apartment Guide here or the Tampa Bay Times available online here.
- Personal expenses (varies).
- Health insurance (varies).
- Student professional liability insurance (~$30.00).
- Textbooks/reference manuals (~$300.00 per semester). Not applicable for non-degree program track.
- Registration fees and expenses for professional meetings (~$150.00).
- Student membership dues for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics ($58.00).
- Student membership dues for Suncoast Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics ($15.00).
- Transportation, gas for field trips and parking fees (~$100.00-200.00).
- Registration Examination for Dietitians following graduation ($200.00).
Dietetic interns are eligible for federal loans. Step-by-step guidance is available for USF graduate students here.
Applicants and interns are encouraged to apply for scholarships through The Academy in addition to their state and local dietetic associations.
If considering loan forbearance, contact the Dietetic Internship Director. Forbearance is often the best choice but depends on each individual loan agreement.
Nutrition and Dietetics Scholarship
For the recruitment of an outstanding NEW Masters student accepted into the Nutrition and Dietetics program at USF, COPH. Current USF COPH Student Scholarships and Awards can be found here. This scholarship is not applicable for the non-degree program track.
- Acceptance into the USF or Bay Pines VAHCS Dietetic Internship.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA 3.5.
- Personal statement* that includes the following: brief summary or personal accomplishments demonstrating your potential to succeed in graduate school, specific career objectives related to the field of public health, how you would benefit from receiving this award.
*This should be different from your DI application personal statement and clearly demonstrate your potential to be a strong contributor in the Nutrition and Dietetics MPH program.
Application deadline for the USF Nutrition and Dietetics Scholarship is May 1, 2020.
Submit to: email@example.com
Subject: Nutrition and Dietetics Scholarship
Public transportation is limited in the Tampa Bay area and so it is necessary for interns to have a reliable form of transportation. Transportation to and from scheduled duty time at the medical center and affiliate sites is the responsibility of each intern. BPVAHCS and affiliate sites do not charge a fee for parking.
Note: Links above will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.