Dietetic Internship Program
Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System - Program Mission & Goals
Program Mission & Goals
The missions of SAVAHCS and the Dietetic Internship align together.
Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System
Mission: We honor America's Veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well-being.
Vision: Be a national model of clinical and organizational excellence by providing safe, effective, efficient and compassionate healthcare.
Mission of the Dietetic Internship Program
To prepare competent entry-level dietetics professionals to become Registered Dietitian Nutritionists committed to evidence-based practice in the care of Veterans and the public.
Program Goals and Objectives
- SAVAHCS DI graduates will demonstrate the skills, knowledge and experience necessary to earn Registered Dietitian Nutritionist credentials, and report satisfaction with their training.
- At least 80% of interns complete program requirements within 18 months (150% of planned program length).
- At least 80% of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- When surveyed, 80% of program graduates would choose the SAVAHCS internship again and rank satisfaction and quality of the program at least a 3.5 on a scale of 0-5 (poor – excellent).
- SAVAHCS DI graduates will become multi-skilled, highly competent, confident and qualified for employment in VA, other healthcare systems and nutrition organizations.
- At least 85% of employers who respond to the employer surveys will report at least a 3.5 (0-5 scale, poor – excellent) regarding the graduate’s knowledge and skill preparation for entry-level practice.
- At least 80% of graduates responding to post-graduate surveys will report high confidence in their abilities to work as entry-level Registered Dietitian Nutritionists.
- Of graduates who seek employment, at least 75% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
Outcomes data will be available upon request when available. As we are a new program, outcomes data has not yet been obtained.