Dietetic Internship Program
James A. Haley Tampa VA Hospital
Requirements. A maximum of 6 interns are appointed annually. Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally ACEND accredited dietetics program
- DPD verification statement from the baccalaureate degree program director
- A graduate degree (masters or doctoral level) with official transcipt of terminal degree or letter of intent to complete a graduate degree
- U.S. Citizenship is required in order to apply for a Department of Veterans Affairs dietetic internship appointment.
Internship Application ProcessThe Anne Brezina Dietetic Internship will only accept on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be found at the new DICAS Portal. DICAS opens for our program in December for the Spring Match in February.
The online application must be completed by the February deadline date as outlined on the DICAS website in order to particiate in the Spring Match. The fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application submitted and $25 for each additional application. DICAS may be contacted by calling customer support at (617) 612-2855 or with the following email DICASinfo@DICAS.org.
The application process includes the following materials:
- Letter of application. Your letter should include 1) reasons for applying to our program, 2) why you became interested in the field of dietetics, 3) short-term and long-term professional goals, and 4) personal attributes that would contribute to the program and the profession. This can count for your DICAS personal statement.
- Official transcript(s) from all universities and colleges attended should be sent to the below address. Note: this may take time and each applicant should allow plenty of time for transcipts to be received.
PO Box 9118
Watertown, Ma 02472
- Declaration of Intent to Complete a Degree and Didactic Program in Dietetics or Verification Statement of Program Completion
- Three letters of recommendation uploaded to the DICAS website. References should include academic faculty and a work or supervisor reference. When completing the application, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for three references. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line by your reference.
Applicants must also register for Spring Computer Match online for computer matching at www.dnddigital.com D&D Digital Systems and select dietetic internship priority choices by the spring deadline. There is a one time computer matching fee of $65 for the use of D&D Digital Systems. If you need assistance with computer matching, please contact D&D Digital customer support at (515) 292-0490, or email email@example.com.
Application Review. Applications of qualified candidates will be reviewed by an internship selection committee and scored initially based on: work experience, volunteer experience, academic achievements, reference letters and letter of application.
Interview. The top candidates will be interviewed by phone using performance-based interviewing.
**The internship does not accept tours of the facility due to our complex federal facility that ensures the highest level of safety and security for our Veterans **
Additional Requirements for all Appointees
Appointees will need to provide proof of immunization status and complete a physical examination (at the appointee's expense). The physical examination will include documentation of vaccinations for healthcare workers as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) including the COVID-19 vaccination. The physical examination must be satisfactory in order to be accepted into the Dietetic Internship Program. Should the physical examination be unsatisfactory, no part of the expense involved in reporting or returning home can be borne by the Federal Government. The Federal Government does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age or disability. As part of the Federal Government's onboarding process, a background check is completed at no cost to the appointee. Males must have registered for Selective Service or be exempt to be eligible to be admitted into the program. Males will be required to provide verification of status through Selective Service Online Registration Search.